The knowledge forgotten in dissociative amnesia would typically be a component of conscious consciousness and be referred to as autobiographic memory. A woman raped in a lift may still refuse to ride in charge even when she cannot remember the rape, even though the erased knowledge may not be accessible to consciousness. Amnesia due to dissociation is probably underreported. Although the exact rate is unknown, figures fluctuate between 0.2 and 7.3% (1). The painful or stressful events that were experienced or seen appear to have caused dissociative amnesia.
Dissociative amnesia causes you to forget essential things from past experiences. This forgetfulness could be generic or thematic, covering a significant portion of your identity or life experience. You might lose most or all of your private data, and in certain rare situations known as dissociative fugue, you might even leave your home and take on a whole different identity. You have a much more significant cognitive impairment than anticipated, with typical forgetting in all situations of dissociative amnesia.
Dissociative amnesia constitutes a few of the many conditions referred to as dissociative neurological disorders. Mental illnesses known as dissociative disorders are characterized by a disruption of normally functioning cognitive processes such as memory, awareness or consciousness, identity, and perception. Dissociative symptoms can range from minor to incapacitating, depending on their severity.
A healthcare professional will conduct an extensive medical evaluation and a visual inspection if a patient exhibits dissociative amnesia. Although no laboratory tests are available to diagnose dissociative disorders, doctors may use blood testing or imaging (X-rays, CT scans, or MRIs) to rule out physical ailments or pharmaceutical side effects. If they don’t have a physical ailment, someone may be sent to a mental health specialist, such as a psychiatrist, psychologist, or psychiatric social worker. There are several varieties of DA, including:
- Localised. When this happens, you find it difficult to recall specific historical occurrences.
- Generalized. There is a total loss of recollection, including details about identity and past events. It’s unusual.
- Fugue. When experiencing a dissociative fugue, you may lose most or all of your own knowledge as you wander or venture to unique locations. In more severe instances, you might even assume a completely different identity
Causes and Symptoms:
Severe or extremely stressful circumstances have been linked to dissociative amnesia. A few instances include the following:
- Being abused sexually, emotionally, or physically while fighting in a war
- A natural disaster such as an earthquake or storm, becoming the victim of a crime or witnessing one being perpetrated, or experiencing extreme stress about your relationships, income, or employment
- By separating itself from a traumatic incident, the brain tries to protect you from or manage painful memories, which leads to dissociative amnesia.
Depending on what sort of Dissociative Amnesia people possess, they may experience the following signs and symptoms:
- Memory loss of specific events
- A sensation of mental and interpersonal distance
- No clear idea of who you are
- Having a lot of stress or issues at work, in relationships, or other critical areas of your life and not being able to handle stress well
- Psychiatric problems
Homeopathic Treatment for Dissociative Amnesia:
Dissociative amnesia situations can be effectively managed with the help of homeopathic drugs. These medications work to stop the condition’s progression and, depending on the individual instance, to promote recovery. The extent of healing that is achievable with them depends on the severity of the ailment and the underlying cause. These medications can be used in conjunction with psychotherapy to provide the best care for a patient. Since these homeopathic medications are natural, they have no adverse effects.
- When there is a noticeable loss of memory, Anacardium is a beneficial medication. The individual who needs it does not remember anything. He entirely loses the ability to remember. The event might come on suddenly. It is a good option for memory loss following a stroke or after a scare. Additionally, it is a top-notch medication for treating dissociative amnesia in Alzheimer’s disease.
- Cicuta is commonly suggested when a person cannot identify anyone or recall recent events. He loses all recollection for several hours or days. Everything seems odd to him. He confuses the present with the past due to his confusion.
- When a person experiences dissociative amnesia and cannot recognize familiar surroundings, locations, or streets, Nux Moschata is prescribed. When you speak to him, he appears disoriented. He responds with statements that have nothing to do with the inquiries made of him. Additionally, he struggles to use the right words when speaking, frequently stopping in the middle of his sentences and altering his voice. A complete lack of memory of his previous life is another sign.
- People who require Agathis Americana are forgetful about daily tasks but maintain memories of prior experiences. Additionally, they mix up words, forget terms, and utilize incorrect letters. There may also be a lack of awareness of what they would say or do.
- Absinthium Artemisia is typically advised when memory loss occurs following an epileptic episode. When there is recent memory loss before and after the fit, that is a sign.
- The most common conditions for which cannabis indica is used include unexpected memory loss and dissociative amnesia. Complete forgetting of recent speech, thought, and action is present.
- The following effective treatment for dissociative amnesia is alumina. People who require it are unable to recall details. They are confused. Both while speaking and writing, they err. They use words that are not appropriate. They are also incapable of developing an idea further.
- Family therapy enlightens the family about dissociative amnesia and prepares them to spot recurrences of a loved one’s symptoms.
- People can discover and convey their ideas and emotions in a secure and creative atmosphere through creative treatments (such as art therapy and music therapy).
- Clinical hypnosis for dissociative amnesia allows patients to examine ideas, emotions, and memories that may have been buried in their conscious minds by using extreme unwinding, concentration, and concentrated awareness to reach another level of awareness.