Acute Stress Disorder
Traumatic events might quickly trigger acute stress disorder (ASD), which shows up as a combination of traits like anxiety and avoidance. An event that causes stress or trauma is the cause of ASD. It may result in detachment, avoidance, anxiety, and mood problems. The symptoms of these disorders may resemble those of PTSD; however, the length of the symptoms varies among them.
In the first month following a stressful event, acute stress disorder (ASD), a temporary mental health condition, may manifest. Stress-related reactions include:
- Extreme powerlessness.
- Having nightmares or flashbacks.
- Feeling cut off from or numb to one’s body.
- Avoiding circumstances, locations, or other triggers of the traumatic incident
The duration of the symptoms is the primary distinction between acute stress disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Three days to four weeks after a stressful occurrence, stress reactions related to acute stress disorder occur. Stress reactions that last longer than four weeks may meet the criteria for PTSD. A stressful life experience can lead to adjustment disorder, a mental health issue. In general, it is thought that the emotional and behavioral symptoms are more severe than would be predicted, given the nature of the incident. A stressful event that results in adjustment disorder, such as losing your job or ending a relationship, is typically less traumatic than an event that results in acute stress, such as surviving a mass shooting or experiencing sexual assault.
Causes and Symptoms:
Experiencing, seeing, or being subjected to a traumatic incident or event can lead to acute stress disorder. The experiences cause extreme panic, horror, or helplessness. These are a few examples of the traumatic events that can cause ASD:
- Suicide threat to anyone or anything
- Possibility of suffering a significant injury to oneself or others
- The capability to harm oneself or others bodily
Acute stress disorder patients report having symptoms that are comparable to those of PTSD and other stress disorders. Acute stress disorder signs can be categorized into five main groups:
- Signs of an intrusion. These happen when a person experiences terrible memories, flashbacks, or dreams over and over again.
- A bad mood. Someone can have unfavorable thoughts, melancholy, and a bad mood.
- Indications of dissociation include a distorted perception of reality, an absence of awareness of one’s surroundings, and trouble recalling specifics of the traumatic experience.
- Signs of trouble to avoidance. Individuals with these manifestations actively avoid things, people, or emotions that make them think of the traumatic event.
- Arousal signs. Insomnia and other sleep disorders, attention issues, and irritation or aggression—either verbal or physical—can all be among them. Additionally, they could feel tense or on guard and be particularly susceptible to shock.
Homeopathic Treatment for Acute Stress Disorder:
The finest outcomes in acute stress disorder can be obtained with homeopathic remedies because they are constitutional treatments that act on a profound psychological level. They aid in gaining strength to handle life’s daily stresses. They also assist in overcoming acute stress disorder-causing, ongoing sadness.
- The most commonly prescribed drug for treating acute stress disorder caused by psychological exhaustion while working or at home is Kali phos. The main indication for this medication is a persistent state of worry and concern that results in stress. It aids in relieving the mind’s fatigue. People who require Kali Phos frequently stay depressed, agitated, and restless and may be susceptible to noise and light. With little effort, the person also frequently feels weak, worn out, and drained. Kali Phos effectively treats stress headaches, memory loss, and lifelessness.
- Ignatia Amara is a recommended treatment for acute stress disorder with some grief-related roots. Ignatia, for instance, supports stress-inducing emotions like mourning over the loss of a close friend or family member or disappointment in a romantic relationship. The individual who needs this cure has persistently depressing thoughts, sobs vehemently, and craves solitude. Additionally, he or she would often sigh and cry. Other signs that may be seen include a sudden mood swing in which the person laughs and sobs rapidly, apathy toward things they formerly loved, discouragement, physical and mental tiredness, dullness of mind, and trouble understanding.
- When acute stress disorder causes depression, Natrum mur is a stress reliever. Natrum Mur should be used when you want to be alone, avoid conversing, or cry out in loneliness. Consolation usually worsens things, and the person starts to dislike making any kind of effort (physical or mental). They are rushed, fearful, and pessimistic about the future. They also experience memory loss and get distracted. Other symptoms include mental dullness, difficulty thinking, heart palpitations, and fluttering.
- Anxiety-causing acute stress disorder is treated with arsenic. The common signs that point to the need for this remedy include anxiety with intense restlessness, overthinking with many thoughts racing through the head, a fear of death, shaking, cold sweats, and face flushing. Additionally, possible symptoms include chest constriction and breathing difficulties. After midnight, anxiety attacks are more frequent. Most of the time, there is extreme weariness.
- The remedy, coffea cruda, supports acute stress disorder-related insomnia. Constant, excessive thinking keeps the mind active and prevents sleep. The person tosses around in bed from side to side and may have palpitations. The primary signs of needing Coffea Cruda include nervousness, restlessness, frequent crying and mourning over little matters, oversensitivity, and impatience.
- The well-known drug Nux Vomica is suggested for acute stress disorder followed by restlessness and explosive fury. When someone is under pressure and prone to becoming easily agitated or irritated, offended easily, or argumentative, Nux Vomica is a good choice. There may also be excessive sensitivity to light, sound, and scent, as well as anxiety about little details, insomnia, and digestive issues. Individuals who need Nux Vomica may tend to use drugs or drink excessively.
- Aurum Met is recommended as a treatment for acute stress in those with negative outlooks on life. The individual who requires Aurum Met is perpetually depressed and burdened by life. He or she grows weary of life and experiences a sense of hopelessness. Some other signs are the desire to end one’s life, anger at inconsistencies, rapid heartbeats from exhaustion, and limb exhaustion.